About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Double Non Fat Irish Cream Latte

Yes that is my drink order...but its more than that. 

Today was a sad day. on two levels...

Level 1...
I walked into on of my favorite Coffee shops today and as the barista's common words, echoed with out thought I requested, "Double Non Fat Irish Cream Latte"...then she said the words I never wanted to hear nor expected. "I'm sorry mam, we are NO LONGER SERVING IRISH CREAM!" WHAT has the world come to??!!?!??! Would the drink that I love no longer exist. The drink that I have enjoyed for now almost 3 years. Change is bad!! I joking laughed and asked why...it was just the way things where.

(No worries the sister store will still carry my Irish cream...thus I will not suffer. And the Barrista had compassion on me today...She looked into a packed box to find a bottle not taken to the other store...So today, I got my latte just the way I like it.) 

Level 2...
So it got me thinking. Why is it that we, stumble across the things in life which we love to have around, we enjoy the company, or the luxury of such a common place. And the moment its about to disappear or it has disappeared...our Hearts sink. Our hearts are surprised by the sudden vacancy, and even scared before it leaves or fear its loss.

Like a child who's parents have taken away our favorite toy, for good reason...we look up in confusion, and sometimes tears, wondering why they would take away something so precious to us. It is that picture that brings me to the relationship with our Creator God. Our hearts that feel like we are waiting for something....but what...always seems uncertain until we can almost taste it. 

As a friend spoke to my heart this morning as we both have been wandering through ministry and life together, though living in separate towns, right now our hearts resonate. This is what she said to me among other things, "Isn't it funny how the Lord seems to always put us in those situations in almost everything. To have to completely relinquish ourselves to his control and his will and especially trust him with our hearts...like we are just holding them out there saying, "OK Lord...here you go...but please..don't let it get broken."

that heart...brings vulnerability
that heart...though the lost feeling, brings direction
that heart...finds peace
that heart...in the midst, finds such a DEEPER Trust..than one has ever know before.

That deeper trust makes me move forward, and find hope in life, in love, and in ministry.

may we press on. 
may we not take things for granted. 
may we take risks with our hearts...and trust that God has a bigger and better plan. 

Some days we get things the way we like it and others....we have to look elsewhere.

No comments:

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back