About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve Eve...

For the Bernal and Solis Familia all we have known for Christmas Eve is that family's make Tamales. 

The process doesn't just start on Christmas Eve. The process really begins on Christmas Eve Eve. The meat is cooking, the dishwasher swishing, and my mom scurrying around setting up all the last minutes things, things that I am not even sure what they actually are. This dishes clang and the smells of chicken and beef fill the house.  I hear the purr of the blender, since the chillies have chilled...as the Tomatillo salsa is being made.

My Dad is fast asleep as early in the morning he will be off to pick up the masa and pan dulce at the Mexican Mercado, before any of us actually wake up. This year I may wake to join him...But no promises. 

Tomorrow will come early...and we will begin to spread the masa for the tamales. My brother and sister always seem to "have something to do" which seems more like a tradition every year that they don't help, but provide entertainment for us all. I suppose in a strange way makes me smile, cuz that's just what happens, and I love every minute of it. 

Every year it seems that we also have new people joining us...this year is no different, as Sara is in for a treat. laugh, and the hope to learn a new skill in the midst of our crazy familia. 

its Midnight here...so I will exclaim...as I drift off to sleep, wink

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

1 comment:

Jana said...

YAY for Christmas tamales!!! how bout shipping some to the white folk in indiana?!! :) tell the fam hello!!! i miss you all! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back