About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Never take JR Highers Ice Blocking

So I found 2 days ago that my housing fell through for my two days in San Diego. I was only slightly worried. Luckily I called my mom and asked on a whim, "Do we know anyone that lives in SD?" To my surprise my mom said our old pastor, wife and son do.

Wheew what a relief. One strange thing, I haven't seen them in almost 12 years. What does one talk about when you haven't seen people in that long???!!!

I know one thing, it causes one to reminisce about the times you used to have. I am reminded almost instantly of this story:

Steve who is my age, has a younger sister who is the same age as my sister. In the small town of auburn there was never much to do. I however having an older brother learned the art of many things under his wing. One of my favorite things was ice blocking.

In LOP there is this GLORIOUS hill on the golf course that is so prime for ice blocking it makes you drool! Seriously I'm drooling now. There where some rules that you had to live by:

(LOP Guards: Men that thought they where cool but really they where glorified rent a cops, who had nothing better to do then stop our escapades, of ice blocks, TP, and taking golf flags. Clearly we where kids that where bored.)

Rules of Ice Blocking at LOP
  1. Buy Ice blocks one person at a time...& sometimes you have to drive into town as to not tip off the guards.
  2. Never let the guards see you
  3. Always wear ALL BLACK
  4. Park far away
  5. Leave keys under mat on front seat (so you will )
  6. Your towel must fit the block perfectly
  7. Watch for sprinklers
  8. Dirt makes you fly off your block
  9. NEVER MAKE ANY NOISE (Houses lined both sides of the course)
  10. When you see flash/spot lights SCATTER

after that night we had to add rule 11.

11. NEVER TAKE JUNIOR HIGHERS ICE BLOCKING.

For the first time in my life Steve and a few others took our sisters ice blocking. With in minutes of hitting the hill, Shreeeks and Squeals came out of their mouths like something I had never heard before. Lights turned on in the houses...Dogs barked....and I heard the faint whistle of the guard car. NOOOOo I thought. With in seconds a large SPOT light was on the hill. Sigh! I looked at steve and we both knew this indeed was the biggest mistake of the century. We Yelled, "RUN!" we ran and hid under cover of trees and shrubbery. It took hours to dodge the spot light and brings all the frightened ninos to the cars. We took alternate routes to cars...as we maneuvered around the reach of the Whistling guard cars. The night was a disaster.

All this to say. I wonder if my Childhood accomplice remembers that night?

No comments:

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back