About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Take Your Knife & Confront your Ducks" Julia Child

A few weeks ago I wandered through the redwoods and into my dear friends play room. With squealing children, laughter, blocks, & trains... We pondered, we cried, we sought what might God have, What might be next. It is these times in my life that i understand our dear deep relational God when I catch a glimpse from, my dear friends who never cease to amaze me, the ways they always point me to the truth, and always pointing out the truth in what I am saying. It is these people that constantly do this in my life that I know I am blessed beyond understanding, by rich (in character), family, friends, and amazing husband.

A few weeks ago I blogged about "what do housewife's do?" in response to many that seemed troubled by it, I still hold to what I wrote. I have had more time to walk through it all I know these things are true:
  • I know there is cleaning to do, but that is not me (don't worry I am still cleaning), its not what defines me. cleaning and organizing is more of the given. cuz I did that when i worked a 50 to 70 hour work week too.
  • I LOVE my Husband and I love being his wife more than I can express, and my last blog was more about the times I am not with my sweet husband.
  • Really its about a redefining of who I am in a good way. Loosing my job at high street and transitioning for this stage as a stay at home wife has left me with many great questions on...
  • Where is God taking me?
  • Where is God taking my husband and I?
  • What will God have for us as a family?
  • What is it that I really like to do?
In that playroom a few weeks ago my friend reminded me of that silly movie Julia & Julia. More than that she shed light on a conversations that Julia Child has with her husband Paul.

tonight I watched that movie again. and I believe that Julia & I have that same spirit about us.

in a cafe in Paris...

Julia: sigh... What Should I do??
Paul: About what?
Julia: I don't REALLY want to go back into government work. Shouldn't I find SOMETHING to do? Wives... They don't do anything here. That's not me, Its JUST NOT ME.
Paul: I know.
Julia: I saw a notice on the bulletin board at the embassy, Hat making Lessons.
Paul: You Like hats.
Julia: I do... I DO.
Paul: (with deep care in his voice) What is it you REALLY Like to do?
Julia: EAT!!! (much Laughter and smiles)

I feel like the world is telling me that I Should do this or that. Yet one of the most beautiful things about this pivotal part for Julia, is that this launches her on this quest to find what is Good, she does not listen to the things that should get her down, or the people that question why she would even need to embark on these different activities. She presses forward trying one things after another, until she finds her passion, and what brings her life. I see that God call's us to just that!

1 Thessalonians 1:3
We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

So my new quest is not to begin making a cook book... although that has crossed my mind. But the Quest is to simply to be prompted by LOVE & HOPE... to venture forward to see what Cool things are out there for the Koenig's. This is something I think we have been doing... but in my funk, I think I forgot that. So I will try new things these days and it may be a while before I "KNOW" what is next for a career, for a hobby, and just what my free moments as a wife will hold. Only God knows what these "Free Moments" carry. Its those moments that I am walking boldly into. Feel free to suggest ideas and don't be offended if I don't do them... :)

Ideas already on my mind most which will never come to be but seem cool... Things like:

Become a coffee Roaster, open an etsy sight, Paint again, Cake decorating Class, Learn how to use a fancy Camera, decorate and organize the solarium to our office and studio (that could take some money but mostly time... good news I have that). Write something besides a blog.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Sweet! I'm really excited that you are committed to embracing all the opportunities you have right now. I have a suggestion I could add for a new hobby...

Melinda said...

What you got girl?? Suggest on.

Anonymous said...

This made me cry...I love it!

Anonymous said...

I think you are simply amazing mel...good for you!

Melinda said...

thanks anonymous. these simple comments blessed me, blessed me indeed.

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back