About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

What does a Stay at Home wife do?

DISCLAIMER: This is a valid question. Not meant to offend. And this is not the time to say have children. Don't worry we want kids someday. Its up to God when he brings them. And now my blog.

With my new found freedom, in joblessness for a time, I have come to the place where i wonder truly, "What Does a Stay at Home Wife do?".

Now please do not worry, there has been time to grieve, and I have grieved, and most likely will grieve some more. I have spent time being sad, and a bum on the couch, but lets be honest it only take a few weeks to catch up on your favorite tv shows that you haven't had time to watch. I have and will continue to get that extra renewal and time with God, which has been a blessing & in this time off. I have cleaned some here and there, & plan on continuing that as well.

Being a woman who was married at 30 and have worked all of her adult life. I find it almost conflicting to not have ANYTHING to do. I know that there have been seasons of time where people are stay at home wife's. I know there will one day be a time to be a stay at home mom. but the reality is that the world of staying home without a job baffles me. So I am here asking a question looking for some answers besides barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. This just will not do.

I have watched plenty of "real Housewives of..." and that's not me, I love Desperate housewives, but i just can't where that much jewelery, or have that many schemes. What does the regular House wife do with their time?

i need your help! Lets hear some responses.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

Tons of cleaning and cooking and taking care of little details that never seem to get done. Like scheduling dentist, doctor and hair appointments. Creating retirement accounts. Finding ways to help manage the money better and pay off loans faster. Those are the pesky things I try to tackle.

I also read and watch Little House on the Prairie a lot.

Jana said...

ditto on what liz said - get that stuff figured out now . . before the kiddos arrive! cause you'll have little time to do it then! lol. here's what popped into my head: LOTS of cleaning (granted, w/o the little ones to mess things up just seconds later, there is significantly less cleaning to do, i understand) . . make a menu for the week's meals, keep the fridge/cabinets stocked for said meals, pay the bills, keep the budget, and spend some time doing all your fun crafty things that you do so well!! :) my suggestion: make a plan for your week - a to-do list of things you need and want to do so it doesn't all just get away from you and you discover that the only list you've tackled is the one on your dvr (this happens to me ALL THE TIME if i don't plan for my week)! take advantage of the time and be encouraged - it may be over way sooner than you thought.

love you, friend. oh, and my selfish indulgence is who's the boss :) (it comes on right before little house on the prairie here)

trinity said...

Well, seeing as I am not a wife I cannot say for sure. But here are some suggestions as to ways to fill your time:

1. Take a class, you will meet new people and begin to build new relationships and before you know it your time will be filled. Plus you will gain a new skill. Some ideas for classes that I find fun and or useful:
a. Pottery or Art
b. Dance or Fitness class (followed by brunch at Harbor Cafe)
c.a new language
d. Finance class (not fun, but maybe useful)

2. Write letters especially to your friends overseas :)

3. Join a book club (lots are offered through Bookshop Santa Cruz)

4. Get involved in a non profit or organization that you are passionate about.

5. Garden, lots of people seem to enjoy this, I don't.

6. Go to the beach, always good.

7. Become a "Big Sister"

8. Go hiking (again not a favorite of mine, but who knows)

9. Take up knitting or something homey like that

10. Have lots of parties.

Okay that's my contribution.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but laugh!!!!!! Your plea, these repsonses... I AM SO right with you! Again, some details don't align, but I feel like I'm spending everyday worrying and wanting the next step. Is this not the very vacation we wait for Monday through Friday..usually?!? Weekend all day everyday. Cleaning and planning seem all too responsible for tried and true things to be busy with, and I think it is about living living living up like a vacation everyday... yes that means doing interesting things too, but in the sense of stimulating your intellect, encouraging your creativity, and doing things that you usually woudn't have time for. I have yet to start, but I really want to play the piano again, and since I'm unemployed and living at home, one of the few place that still has a piano... opportunity is here. :) g'luck ma dear and talk to you soon! OH wait I have another idea. Keep blogging! If you have nothing to say then do a response to a news article or post something silly :D

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back