About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA
living, and loving people. in the midst of my humanity.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fearfully Holding on

Tonight I spoke to my High school students about the things we hold on to in life.

How we are so like the disciples fearful and calling to Jesus as though we could die at any moment.

He wakes, he questions their fear, he calms the storm.

It seems as though our humanity traps us there, in our fear. This "fear" is something which I'm not sure we can ever escape from its painful grip. Yet Jesus, unfazed by what our eyes and feelings, we see as our life's current hurricane, and He the almighty sleeps through it. Or so it seems. This creates fear.

Ultimately if I am honest, I am afraid he cannot meet my needs, even though my head, and the word says He will. On many levels I cannot believe he would sleep though such important times of my life.

Where does this leave us. one moment at a time. Breathing in and out.

I have to trust, letting go of my grip if security, allowing my palms to be open. Do I trust him with much of my life or just the few minutes in front of me. I praise God he loved and walked with the disciples who, feared, questioned...yet believed.

I walk in their shoes. Walking in their shoes tonight.

No comments:

Live Life

walking boldly as though nothing can
hold you
back